Virgin Gardener and Santa Muerte

dying

These are supposed to be pickling cucumbers. But I’m afraid that they’re on the way to the next world. Angels… enjoy the tiny pepino. I suppose they could rally but I’m calling a priest just in case.

In happier news the lovely Kel from Enough Pie for Everyone shared this recipe for butternut squash. And get this is not actual  butter I’m growing. Don’t tell my crush, Paula ’bout this please.

Kel’s Sinfully Silky Butternut Squash Soup
Pierce the skin and roast squash until it is very soft.
Peel and puree the flesh, minus the seeds and pulp, with
some sauteed onions.
Add to warmed broth, vegetable or chicken works equally
well.
Top with a pat of butter and some salt and pepper.

And Annbb from The Tombstone Chronicler kindly shared a way for me to handle all my extra (assuming they’re not dying as we speak) ripe tomato!

Simple and Delicious from The Tombstone Chronicler
In a baking dish (9 x 13 or thereabouts) put a layer of
fresh basil leaves to entirely cover bottom of pan. On
top of that place a layer of sliced garden tomatoes, any
color. Generously splash balsamic and olive oil over
everything (or make a packet of Good Seasons Italian with
balsamic and olive oil and drizzle that on – what I
usually do). Then Generously cover all with feta cheese.
Broil in the oven just until the feta is nicely browned.
Serve at room temperature, never cold out of the fridge.
This is not a good dish to make the day before – doesn’t
hold well, but it’s so simple and quick you can make it
a few minutes or hours before you serve it without a lot
of hassle.

And does this tease make us look fat? Maybe but I’m going to tease anyway - coming soon on this space we’re going to talk about a sweetener that threatens to be the NEXT BIG SWEET THANG!

Oh.. and very quietly I wanted to sneek in here.. 5lbs off since Memorial Day. Shh. Don’t let the weight know I’m here or it will want to move back in.

Now I’ve got to go call that priest.. for a number of things but right now I’m going to have to get some absolution for this cucumber murderer and can they bless veggies?

Comments

11 Responses to “Virgin Gardener and Santa Muerte”
  1. First off: Congrats on the 5 pounds! Woot! Second: That tomato recipe is soooo good. Third: I don’t know anything about those cukes. Good luck;)

2. furiousBall says:

congrats on the 5 pounds. what kind of wine would you recommend with that?

3. NotAMeanGirl says:

::whispers enthusiastically:: goooooo KIKI

4. Kyddryn says:

Aww…poor little cukes! What happened to them? My tomatoes are starting to look a little less than thrilled by the weather…lucky they’re in a pot and I can move them under a tree if they want shade.

What weight? I don’t see any weight. You’ll never make me talk!! Is that…a…a…French Silk Pie? Arrgh……

Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

Thanks for the congrats it nearly makes me cry how nice you guys are seriously. The dying veg has not elicited one tear and then BAM the commenters nice me out!

I’d say no wine with my five pounds just vodka (0 calories/0 carbs!)

And I haven’t given up the ghost on the pepino but there are peppers ready to take that space-as fast as you can say Miss America First Runner Up-if they do keel over.

6. Candance says:

I found that five pounds you lost. It has actually moved
    into my gut and refuses to leave.

We have one pepper that has made it (so far) and it’s
    huge. I asked David if he put Miracle Gro on it because
    it’s supposed to be organic gardening go on out there in the
    yard, but he said he didn’t. That is part of a blog post
    that I plan for later today.

I wish I knew how to pickle stuff.

7. Kel says:

Thanks for mentioning my butternut squash soup recipe.
    Even my kids enjoy it!

I am thinking that gardening is like gambling. I only
    bet what I am willing to lose. It’s still early in the
    game, and only time will tell if I lose it all. But even
    if all my plants die of neglect it was fun to play the
    game.

Candace we’re just so nice that everyone wants to sit on our laps… including our little extra five pounds.

You’re welcome darling Kel! And I like “gardening is like gambling.”

9. Suebob says:

I feel your gardening pain. I just KNOW I am screwing up my tomatoes somehow. Too much water and they get end rot, too little and they die…Argh.

And as for butternut soup, I can go one better: 4 ingredients, EASY!!!!

On a oiled baking sheet, put one butternut squash, halved and seeded, face down.

Cut the roots off an onion but otherwise leave intact with peel on. Remove the outer paper from a garlic head and put a it on the baking sheet with the onion and squash. Bake until the squash is cooked, maybe 400 degrees, maybe an hour or whatever. Really don’t panic, it will all be good.

Scrape the squash flesh into a food processor or blender. Sqquoosh out as much garlic goo and the onion flesh into the blender as well. Put some stock or milk in there and blend baby blend. Careful – hot liquid expands so don’t put the lid on too tight and leave room at the top.

Put it all in a saucepan and heat up again, adding more stock or milk to a nice consistency. Voila. Soup. IT IS DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Suebob I too am on the fence on how much/not enough water’s going on in my little growing experiment and LOVE the soup recipe thank you!!

11. Why, thank you so very much for the mention, Kiki – that’s just so very nice! Wish I could help you with the wilted leaf problem, can’t, as my garden skills are nil. Maybe that’s the way they grow…grow a new leaf, lose an old one. (One can always dream! ;-)

Oh, and I also found that 5 pounds you lost. They had more baby pounds I also found. It’s not good.